Zal Gaz Grotto

From MusicWiki Detroit
Jump to: navigation, search
Zal Gaz Grotto
Zal Gaz Grotto Logo.png
'
Background Information

Established

1911

Purpose

Social club for members of the Masonic Fraternity

Address

2070 W Stadium Blvd
Ann Arbor, MI 48103

Phone

(734) 663-1202

Hours

Monday - Saturday
4:00 9m - 12:58 pm
Sundays
Closed

About

Zal Gaz Grotto is a social club for members of the Masonic Fraternity, operating under the Supreme Council of the Mystic Order of Veiled Prophets of the Enchanted Realm. Zal Gaz got its dispensation in 1910 and on September 27, 1911 received its charter with 100 local masons becoming charter members.

The first home of Zal Gaz was in rented rooms on the second floor of an old wooden building at the SW corner of Main and Washington, now occupied by the Old Kresge Bldg (Mongolian Barbecue).

In 1918, the Grotto moved to 111 ½ W. Huron St., where it remained for 32 years. Larger quarters were eventually found in the Wedemeyer Building at 213 1/2 N. Fourth Ave. But they always dreamed of having our own building and a permanent home. The dream became a reality when Gottlob Schumacher and his wife Caroline donated land at 2070 W. Stadium Blvd., with no strings attached except that the Grotto Club be built there. Funds were available from the funds established at the Temple for special projects. A mortgage was obtained and the current building on Stadium Boulevard was built almost entirely by its own members and they moved in there in 1958. It is now named the Schumacher Building in memory of the donor of the land.


Zal Gaz Grotto has a regular schedule of events that are open to the Public.


Some of the bands that have played at Zal Gaz Grotto

External Links

Website
Facebook