Cliff Bell's is a Jazz nightclub in the heart of downtown Detroit and was opened in 1935 by John Clifford Bell. The building that houses Cliff Bell’s was built by the Campeau Family and designed by Albert Kahn. It was originally intended to be 10 stories tall but when the depression hit it was capped at just two.
John ran the club from 1935 until his retirement in 1958. Through the 30′s 40′s and 50′s Cliff Bell’s and the Town Pump Tavern anchored two ends of what was Detroit’s busiest night crawl with clubs, pubs and Burlesques dotting Park Avenue. During the 70′s and 80′s the Club operated under a series of other names. (The Winery, La Cave, or JB’s on the Park). In 1985 the famous club closed. 20 years later in 2005 when, under a joint venture of its current owners Paul Howard, Scott Lowell, and Carolyn Howard when renovation began on the long, shuttered club. In just six short months (and much hard work despite rumors of a simple “dusting off”), the club was open again thanks to the help of friends, neighbors and family members and the much-appreciated support of the building owners Jerry and Lee Belanger.